Can a hailstorm break my windshield? Absolutely, hailstorms often leave disgruntled automobile owners with broken windshields and at times, the damage can be overwhelming. Discovering that your vehicle has fallen prey to these violent storms is never encouraging news. Today, the Phoenix Auto Glass Blog, shares live footage of one news reporter who learned a hailstorm had taken out his vehicle’s windshield.
While delivering a live report on a particularly damaging hailstorm in Minneapolis, KMSP-TV chief meteorologist, Ian Leonard begins by announcing that “multiple” cars in the station's parking lot was damaged by the ongoing storm.
He is interrupted and informed that the damage was not to “multiple” cars but rather “every” car.
“Every car? Including mine?!” Leonard exclaims as he pauses, “Alright, every car in the Fox 9 parking lot, including mine, is without a windshield.”
News reports after the storm showed the extent of the damage. Footage shows broken auto glass in vehicles across the parking lot.
In the event that a hailstorm wreaks havoc on your automobile’s windshield or auto glass, it is essential that you contact your auto insurance company about the damage immediately. If hail has damaged your windshield, rear windshield or any of the glass on your vehicle, contact an NGA certified windshield replacement and auto glass repair shop.
Progressive Auto Insurance offers the following tips if you are caught driving in a hailstorm:
- Stay inside the vehicle: hail falls at fast speeds, and it can cause injury to those in its path.
- Stop driving: pull to a safe place, so hail does not break the windshield or any windows — driving compounds hail's impact with your car. Stop under an overpass, and do not forget to pull out of traffic lanes and onto a shoulder. Avoid ditches due to possible high-rising water.
- Keep your car angled: the hail is hitting the front of your car. Windshields are reinforced to withstand forward driving and pelting objects. Side windows and back glass are not, so they are much more susceptible to breakage.
- Lie down if possible: keep your back to the windows and if you have a blanket, cover yourself with it to prevent possible debris from hitting you.
In the event that a hailstorm damages your vehicle, Progressive Auto Insurance recommends you follow these steps:
- Call your insurance company as soon as you can to report your claim.
- Discuss the damage with your claims representative to determine the best repair method and set up an inspection time.
- Repair the hail damage to your car.
- Ensure your vehicle is repaired to your satisfaction. Discuss any issues with the provider and check for any remaining dents before you accept your vehicle and take it home.
- Get a written guarantee and contact information from the shop before you leave.
Paul Ryans, Operations Manager at SunTec Auto Glass stated, “Sometimes hail damage is unavoidable. However, if you can, take precautions to avoid hail from damaging your auto glass. If you believe there may be damage to your vehicle’s windshield, call an NGA certified Windshield Replacement and Auto Glass Repair Company. These companies will work with your auto insurance company and usually provide excellent out of pocket pricing.”
If you live in the greater Phoenix, Arizona area and require a windshield replacement or auto glass repair, contact SunTec Auto Glass today. Our windshield replacement and auto glass repair technicians are NGA (National Glass Association) certified and service all vehicle makes and models. We use OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) auto glass and OEM parts, because you and your family's safety matters. We work with every auto insurance company and we accept most forms of payment. We offer free mobile service to Maricopa and Pinal Counties for your convenience. To schedule your windshield replacement, auto glass repair, auto glass tinting or auto glass etching, please contact us at (602) 753-6050 or by email at email@example.com.